Monday, August 18, 2014

A Long Week



The death of Robin Williams hit me hard for some reason. I thought, if someone who seemed so happy and finally able to put his demons behind him, could still be so lost-what does that say about the rest of us? Are we all just doomed? Robin Williams was someone everyone could enjoy. He was loved by so many generations. From Good Morning Vietnam to Mrs. Doubtfire, he could add a sparkle into any role. You felt as if you weren't seeing a character in a movie, but a little piece of him. 


A few days later, a Hollywood legend passed away, Lauren Becall. My goodness, the voice, the look...everything about her was amazing. Her romance and marriage to Humphrey Bogart was better than any story Hollywood could dream up. Humphrey's nickname for her was "Baby." I just love it. Him just cooing over baby makes my heart smile. My favorite movie starring this powerhouse due is The Big Sleep. It just screams Noir, everything from the sets to the somewhat corny for today dialogue. I love that Lauren refused to get caught up in the antics of growing old. She believed that every line on your face told a story so why hide them. She was beautiful, smart, and sassy. 

I like to think that Humphrey Bogart was waiting for Baby at the pearly gates. When they passed through, he told her that she has to see this new comedian that just got there. They go off to a wonderful 1940's floor show and everyone is happy once again. 

We may have lost some beloved icons, but I guess with the way things are going, the big man upstairs needed a few laughs and to class up the joint. Thank you Robin and Loren. Rest in Peace. 

“Don’t grieve. Anything you lose comes round in another form.” 
― Rumi

3 comments:

Becky said...

Beautifully written my friend.

Lisa said...

Whew, my eyes are stinging. Robin's death has hit me hard, too. I normally am unaffected by celebrity death, but for him I've been weepy no less than a dozen times. I hope that he's found the peace that he couldn't find here. And Loren, what a class act! RIP, the both...

Jo Ashcroft said...

I lost days feeling emotional over the death of Robin Williams , such a talent, such an inspiration. A true genius. ,